**In honor of Memorial Day, I’d like to say there is one thing we should never forget: freedom is not free. Thank you to all the men and women who have served and continue to serve to protect this great country of ours.**
- Socialization-Remain integrated and involved in your community, develop hobbies, build a network of
family and friends, do not retire i.e. maintain a role in society that creates meaning for you.
- Physical activity-Walk, dance, write with your non-dominant hand. 25% of the blood goes to the brain.
- Mental stimulation-Learn new things, travel, play games, do puzzles, surf the web, listen or play music.
- Spirituality-30 minutes a day. Relax, pray, meditate, say “no”, have family meals, be mindful.
- Nutrition-Eat whole, healthy foods.
- Here is a Top 10 List of Brain Boosting Foods
Blueberries-High in antioxidants which decreases free radical damage, a natural occurrence in our bodies
- Salmon-High in Omega 3’s, a healthy fat that helps develop brain tissue
- Flax seeds-Also high in Omega 3’s
- Mixed Nuts-helps boost our memories
Eggs-High in Choline, needed for memory function
Whole Grains-High in fiber, vitamins and folate
- Broccoli-Aides in Memory
- Avocados-Aides in blood flow
- Green Tea-High in antioxidants and aides memory and focus
- Eat healthy and whole foods and enjoy using your time for something besides looking for your missing glasses!