When I think of the 4th of July, I think about Freedom. As a country, we created our freedom and the birth of the greatest country on earth was born!
Where would you like to find freedom in your own life? Freedom from the negative messages you give yourself? Freedom from a few excess pounds? Freedom from old patterns and ways of reacting to various situations?
Freedom needs to be earned. It takes a bit of work but it can be done. Today you may be going to barbecues and confronted with buffets full of food. Why not create a bit of freedom for yourself? Learn to be free from the pull of those old behaviors and messages. Wake up on the 5th of July feeling proud of yourself. The secret is in planning ahead.
5 Tips for Freedom from Food
1. Plan ahead.
2. Know what you are going to eat and how much. Decide in advance that you are only going to have one treat and enjoy it. Or maybe you will decide to stick to just fruit and enjoy that huge chunk of watermelon!
3. Take a plate, fill it with tastes of the foods you want. Do not return for seconds.
2. Enjoy each mouthful. Chew slowly. Don’t talk and eat. Eat and listen.
3. Be sure to include some lean protein, like a hamburger, piece of chicken or fish.
4. Avoid all the fried finger foods. Stick to carrots, celery and dips like hummus and salsa.
5. Limit your alcohol. There are lots of unwanted calories there. Drink lots of water!
*****The key to success is to plan, plan, plan.
Bonus hint: Visualize the party. Imagine all the food choices you will have. Visualize walking in, taking your plate, what you will eat, how you will enjoy it. Imagine enjoying all the people at the party and how much fun you will have. Imagine leaving the party having done exactly as you planned. Congratulate yourself on your success!
Happy 4th! I hope you have a wonderful holiday!
Find Support In Your Inbox
Subscribe to Dr. Vicki’s newsletter for updates, inspiration, and recipes that support your healthy life!
Thanks for subscribing!