Did you get up this morning, grab a cup of coffee and decide you just didn’t have time for breakfast? Or maybe you just weren’t hungry yet and skipped it, thinking you’ll just eat later?
Breakfast, or breaking fast, is the most important meal of the day. Because it:
- Jump starts our body
- Gets our brains working
- Helps our metabolism get going.
You’re busy and you just don’t want to take the time. There are plenty of breakfast meals that are easy and quick to fix. Consider these options:
- Oatmeal-top with cinnamon and some raisins and/or chopped nuts
- Peanut butter on whole grain bread
- A smoothie (see recipe below)
- Low fat plain yogurt topped with fruit and nuts
- A hard boiled egg-travels well and you can make it in advance, a piece of fruit and whole grain toast
- A corn tortilla stuffed with an egg and fresh veggies
- Get creative, you want to include whole grain, a protein and fruit or veggies.
My Favorite Green Smoothie
Smoothies are quick to make, easy to clean up and easy on your digestion. By adding dark green leafy vegetables to your smoothie, you can “sneak in” some extra minerals for the day.
1 to 1 and 1/2 cups of water
Several handfuls of your favorite green i.e. kale, spinach, romaine, celery
1 peeled orange, apple or pear with skin (you can even blend the core)
1 scoop of protein powder
Blend all the ingredients and enjoy. Play with the portions to find what you like best. Use different fruits for sweetening and to change the flavor.
If you have your own favorite smoothie blend, please share it with me at Vicki@yourhealthystructure.com
Remember: eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper.