Did you know that fat is good for you? It seems that over the years, fat has really gotten a bad rap. We are told to stay away from it because it will cause us to gain weight and have high cholesterol.
What should we know about fats?
Fats are a nutrient dense source of energy. One gram of fat provides 9 calories as opposed to proteins and carbohydrates that provides 4 calories per gram.
- Fat is the preferred energy source to fuel the body.
- Fats are used as a building block in the body to assist in many important functions.
- Our body makes some fats but Essential Fatty Acids must be consumed in our food and they are essential to good health
The important thing to know about fats is that you must choose quality fats.
Different kinds of fats
- Saturated fats-these are fats that are solid at room temperature. Think about things like butter, coconut oil and the fat in meat.
- Monosaturated fats-these tend to be liquid at room temperature. They do become solid when chilled. Olive oil and oils from nuts and avocadoes fall into this category.
- Polyunsaturated fats-these are Omega 6 fats and are found in abundance in processed and fried foods. These are also Omega 3’s (an Essential Fatty Acid, found in fish, walnuts, flaxseed). These remain liquid, even when chilled. They should never be used in cooking. Most vegetable oils are polyunsaturated fats.
- Hydrogenated fat– Hydrogenation allows for processed foods to remain shelf stable for an extended period of time. This process creates the dreaded trans-fats.
Avoid any foods that have hydrogenated oil in them at all costs!!! This includes margarine.
The good news about fats is that we all love them and we need to eat them. Let’s face it, they taste good and make food taste great! It is ok to eat them, in fact, you need to eat them.
- Use quality fats like organic butter, extra virgin olive oil, flax seed oil and coconut oil.
- Oils should be cold pressed or expellar pressed.
- Be sure that you eat them in moderation.
- Avoid trans-fats and any product with hydrogenated oil
If you would like help determining how to use healthy fats in your diet, contact me for a free 30 minute breakthrough consult at email@example.com.